Wednesday, July 21, 2010

My First Show with my new Band

Wow, this last week I had my first show with my new band. This is the first time that I have ever accomplished this sort of thing, actually getting a band together and actually playing a show. Talk about an accomplishment. We still don't have a name, we're still deciding what to call it. But it was pretty fun to do it anyway. I pretty much appreciate how easy it flowed from a mere idea to an experience. Almost effortlessly, as if this was the time for this to come in my life. Interesting thing was that I had given up on the whole music thing. Not so much given up, but just decided to put wanting it on hold. I guess I let go of having attachment to having this.
Amazing thing is that I have noticed when things in my life come to me, like having new experiences, it usually follows easily afterward. For example, when I was younger, I didn't hang out with a lot of people, but one day some kids from school invited me to hang out with them and after that, I was always mobbing with other people. But with music, it seems like it might happen in a similar way. These things are possible and I know it, then it becomes a reality. Makes me think of just making something happen, so that something else can happen that I like even better.
The show that we played was quite an experience. In the late afternoon of what I like to call the halcyon days of Portland summers. The warm glow of the sun enveloping everything and just warming my bones and filling my eyes with images of blue skies and golden glows. We played at the anniversary of Wolf and Bears food cart on a makeshift stage made of pallets and plywood which was set up in the gravel beside the food trailer.
The crowd was beautiful. Nerdy kids in their bright colors combined with their earthy colors. I love that scrappy sort of look, the lean and wiry look of the vegetarian, of the bike rider, of the beer drinker. Not so much punk, but definitely weird, arty, nerdy, like all of the skinny people I know.
In this town I easily forget the really fun and amazing people whom I share this city with. But I remember that with people it is about showing up and being present.

No comments:

Post a Comment