Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Media and emotional freedom

We are a country based on a big lie, and a lot of little lies. I think of advertising, something that communication majors go into, and sales, and I think to myself that these are the types of things that make people move away from their essence, and from knowing who they truly are. The message is really the massage, in the way that it manipulates people so much that people can barely decipher the difference between manufactured desires and true ones, and this affects people’s lives in huge ways. I see how it has affected me in my life. It has gotten me all freaked out on needing to find a good job and make a lot of money. This is how people become stressed out because they feel inadequate in some way.
I think about how commercials have snagged me into their trap. For example, I watched a Levi’s commercial with a good looking guy. I saw that guy with those hot jeans and I want to be with him or to be him. this is exactly what the commercial has intended. So usually what follows is that I am looking for ways to recreate this feeling, to recreate this situation in my own life. People who have a definite sense of self and know what they want don’t feel compelled to have some name brand jeans to feel good or to find a relationship. These commercials rely on people being insecure or being socially awkward in order to sell their product. In the world that exists inside of the commercial, it is the jeans that give people the confidence to walk down the street and smile, or if it isn't jeans, it's the soda, or whatever other product.
The nature of the TV shows and songs also contribute to this awkwardness and lack of social skills. Usually the media shows a pretty inaccurate version of how people meet and form relationship, or otherwise, it is glossed over, making it look easy. Worse yet, it can give people some pretty harmful ideas about how to go about forming relationships. This is where the product placement comes in. It becomes the pants or the food product that makes the good things happen, and people like to make things happen.
I am not advocating the people go and live like monks; not at all. I want to see people have freedom, and success, and flexibility in their lives. To be free from feeling like they have to have a product in order to find love, in order to feel good about themselves. I am calling for people to live their life as art, finding the magic in life and miracles, the complexity, the elegance in the simplicity, and to honor the beauty in everything.
I want to say that people are sometimes crazy and sometimes sane, and that nobody is a lost cause, but it is about getting through the layers of shit and manipulation, it is never too late. It is about communities and support networks. We know that we can build big cities and make millions and start ice cream franchises, or people can sell e-books on how to make millions, and this is what our culture promotes. It all becomes our story.
This is a culture worth having, as opposed to this commercial one. When I was a kid, my mom would sing the “Frito bandito” song to us. When we don’t have a culture, we turn to the next biggest influence on us-advertising. This is the culture that we know, in moves into the area of our lives that may have been previously filled with cultural activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment